Walker Farms got its start in 1953 when Betty and Pearl (Junior) Walker moved to Michigan from Seneth, Missouri. Junior Walker began as a truck driver, making deliveries far and wide when his doctor prescribed that he get some exercise during his off time. Gardening became that exercise. Starting with two acres of strawberries and raspberries, Walker Farms was born.
The door-to-door business raised sales and eventually, corn and tomatoes came into our small plot of land. Many friends and neighbors fueled our sales, and soon enough Walker Farms moved into its current location on Atherton Rd. Once we were settled, we built a small greenhouse to grow plants for the fields and continued farming.
Our goal at the time was to concentrate on Pick-Your-Own and increasing the retail sales for our already picked vegetables. We farmed all 300 acres during that time and the excess vegetable crops we trucked to Detroit’s Eastern Market and the Flint City Market. Business was good and after a short time, people began to request vegetable plants for their own use.
In response to more and more public demand, we decided to add more greenhouses to fill the need. Today, we have over 5 acres of greenhouses and mainly focus our efforts on flower and vegetable plant sales. Our business continues to grow into the 21st century and we continue to make improvements to our growing methods and customer service to provide the highest quality plants to our customers.